As a Swim Schools International Teacher and Trainer, you are also accountable for following Swim Schools International Training Standards.
- Recommendation vs. Standard: Included within the Training Standards are recommendations. Recommendations are set off in italics and use words like “may” or “should.” Recommendations are not requirements. Recommendations do provide additional help whenever student needs and ability, environmental conditions or equipment make it possible to enhance the comfort and experience of the swimming activity.
- Validity of Swim Schools International Material: The Swim Schools International Training Standards, Swim Schools International Trainer Manuals/Materials and Swim Schools International Teacher Manauals/Materials form the basis of the Swim Schools International Teaching System and are to be used for all Swim Schools International training programs.
Whenever there is a discrepancy between these materials, the Swim Schools International Training Standards take precedence.
If in doubt, contact Swim Schools International Headquarters for guidance or interpretation.
- Active Status: Swim Schools International Teacher certifications are issued for training through active Swim Schools International Aquatic Centers and Trainers in compliance with these Standards.
- Background Checks: Swim Schools International certified Teachers & Trainers must submit to a criminal background check prior to any certification being issued. Documentation of the performed background check must be included in the Teacher Training Record or Trainer Training Record at the time of completion.
- Ordering Certification Cards: Swim Schools International Aquatic Centers and Trainers are required to issue Swim Schools International Teacher certifications to all successful
Teachers at all levels of training. Certification cards should be ordered through ODiN within 10 days of completion. Hand written forms must be sent to Swim Schools International
within 10 days.
- Processing Trainer files: Swim Schools International Trainer Certifiers are required to issue Swim Schools International Trainer credentials to all successful candidates at all levels
of training. Certification cards should be ordered through ODiN within 10 days of completion. Hand written forms must be sent to Swim Schools International within 10 days.
- Supervision: An active Swim Schools International Trainer is to be present and in control of all Swim Schools International training programs. Whenever possible Swim Schools International Trainers should use Swim Schools International Certified Teachers as assistants.
- Exceeding Standards: Swim Schools International Trainers may exceed Standards, may provide more complete coverage of the materials, may provide additional pool training. Incorporating newer, safer and easier techniques and equipment are encouraged. If in doubt, contact Swim Schools International Headquarters for guidance. Certification may not be withheld if a student meets Swim Schools International standards, but not arbitrary Trainer imposed conditions.
- Waivers: Waivers or deviations to the Swim Schools International Standards are to be requested in writing in care of the Training Department. The request is to explain why the waiver is needed and what will be done to ensure the quality of Swim Schools International training. Each waiver will be given an expiration date.
- Use of Training Materials: All students enrolled in Swim Schools International certification courses are to have and use the specific Swim Schools International Training
Materials. The Trainer and Teacher are both to initial/sign the training record when completed. This may be done after each classroom, pool or at the completion of each day's training.
- Use of Teacher Training records: Training Records are used for monitoring and evaluating each student’s progress, knowledge and skills. Training records shall be maintained and retained for five years by Swim Schools International Aquatic Centers.
- Reporting Procedures: Swim Schools International’s Insurance Agent, Swim Schools International Headquarters, Swim Schools International Service Center, Swim Schools International Regional Center and Swim Schools International Area Office are to be notified immediately if a Swim Schools International Swim School becomes aware of any act, error, omission, or accident, or if a claim or suit is filed.
- Program Duration: Swim Schools International Swim Schools and Trainers are to ensure that each Teacher has the required knowledge, skills and experience to comfortably and confidently teach students at the specific level of training before certification is issued. This includes all classroom, in-water training, and apprenticeship time required by each individual certification level. Each program does have a recommended range of hours. Actual time will vary depending on number of students, age, ability and environmental conditions.
- Teacher-to-Trainer Ratios: The Teacher-to-Trainer ratio for training is provided in each specific standard.
The Teacher-to-Trainer ratio for classroom and pool activities is set by the individual Trainer, based on the ability of the Trainer to deal effectively with student needs. Whenever possible, additional Certified Teachers should be used as assistants during training.
- Care Obligation: All Swim Schools International Trainers are to inform Teachers that if they become excessively cold or tired, are under undue stress, injured, not feeling well, or have recently been sick, they are not to continue training.
- Liability Release: Each student is to complete a Swim Schools International Waiver & Release of Liability Assumption of Risk & Indemnity Agreement and a Statement of Understanding prior to any water training. The forms of minors are to be reviewed and signed by a parent or guardian.
Attention: Signing a Waiver of Release is contradictory to liability regulations in some countries of the world.
Example: In the European Union the Waiver of Release is not valid and the student should not be forced to sign it.